Rituals to be done by the one celebrating his birthday :
1.Take abhyangasnan (bath with oil massage).
2. Offer Namaskar (obeisance) to your parents and elders.
3. Perform puja (ritualistic worship) of your Kuladevata (family Deity). If possible, also offer abhishek ( ritualistic bathing with milk or water).
4. Do atleast four malas (rounds) of chanting of your Kuladevata's name.
Rituals to be done by others for the one celebrating his birthday :
1. Aukshan (arti ) with a lamp lit with ghee should be done for him.
2. Akshata (unbroken rice with vermilion) should be placed on his head thrice with contemplation on the Kuladevata or Upasyadevata (Deity of worship).
3. A sweetmeat should be offered to him.
4. Prayers to bless him should be recited.
5. He may be given a gift but without any expectation from him or doership for the act. The one celebrating his birthday however should foster the bhav (spiritual emotion) that ‘this is a prasad (Holy sacrament) that I am receiving from God’.